Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Gift of Relationship

This was the question in my devotional yesterday:
     Look at the Godhead. What type of relationship exists between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

Easy question, right? ;) But it caused me to start thinking about relationships and authority. Every relationship we have is intended to reveal an aspect of what God experiences. Unfortunately, the amount of unhealthy relationships outnumber the healthy. And it's easy to focus on the authority aspect and not the gifts that come with each position.

I'm pretty sure God the Father doesn't keep reminding Jesus that He's in charge. Because really, He isn't. They are one. The Father holds the position of leader, protector, provider...and He experiences the joy of showing off Who His Son is.

Jesus is gifted with many positions. Son, Brother, Bridegroom, friend. He isn't a son in the way we understand it, but He gets to experience the best emotions of Sonship. Being adored, bragged on, pleasing His father.

The Holy Spirit has a unique position. He broods over the Godhead, the Creation and Us. He's not referred to in the feminine, but the Holy Spirit exemplifies traits that we all associate as feminine. Comfort, wisdom, soft guidance, conviction, a word in due season. He travails over us like a woman in labor, working to bring about the dreams that the Father is dreaming over us.

I think most of us associate authority to something negative. I was in the National Guard, so I'm fully aware of position, rank and being subordinate. Authority in God's eyes doesn't really mean these things. It means position yes, but position in that we have been seated in heavenly places with Him. We have been given a new Name, and we are on equal standing with Jesus. Our authority, placed under His authority... is a gift.

I really want to learn all about what God experiences so it's important to me to pursue healthy, deep relationships. The only time authority or even peer relationships intimidate me is when I don't know who I am. Pursuit is one of God's most beautiful traits. He pursues us, despite rejection or misunderstanding or fear. I want to be like that. Pursued and a pursuer. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment