Sunday, June 12, 2016

Civil War

I was watching The Good, The Bad and the Ugly with my love. Like many times before I was struck by the civil war scenes. I looked it up; 620,000 died in our American Civil War, more than any other war in history. My husband reminded me that there wasn't a draft; men on both sides enlisted to fight a battle that was basically over ideology. It was about freedom; but how the freedom was administered and to whom was the topic that thousands died a horrific death over. 

In the wake of the tragedy in Orlando, it feels like we are constantly trying to kill each other. If not with guns, we kill with rhetoric. And hate. And lack of perspective. It's as if the red and the blue wish, once again, to fight. 

I have good news though. It doesn't have to stop here, in the place we face off, brother against brother. This is where it will end; 

“"For the earth will be filled With the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, As the waters cover the sea.”
Habakkuk 2:14 NASB
http://bible.com/100/hab.2.14.nasb

And here; 

“Then the seventh angel sounded; and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ; and He will reign forever and ever."”
Revelation 11:15 NASB
http://bible.com/100/rev.11.15.nasb

Jesus came to reveal the face of the Father. His is a face of restoration and hope. Of Love. 

In the midst of devastation, we get to choose who we agree with; love or fear. Reconciliation and hope, or anger and blame. 

I choose Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment