Friday, May 11, 2012

My thoughts are not me

Thinking has long been associated with existence, (Descartes), but I think we are constantly associating it with identity. Existing is not the same as Being.

In a society that values tolerance and acceptance, the ability to have healthy discussion has almost been obliterated. Long ago Britain used the Trivium method in the public education system, which is a three part approach that begins with grammar, proceeds to logic and ends in rhetoric. After teaching reading, writing and 'rithmatic, children were taught how to think and question on their own. Of course, they threw out the system when they realized the consequences of teaching a culture to question.

Today we are not taught 'how' to think, we are taught 'what' to think. Our society has thrown out God, so instead we are given a set of moral absolutes and told not to question. If we question, we are bad. Religious, racist, bigoted, narrow-minded, immoral, liberal, conservative...depending on who is using the label. ;) No one accepts questions because discussion is not allowed. Because we have made discussion unpleasant.

Opinion is just a conclusion that we have made religious. When I say religious, I mean there is faith, passion and conviction behind it. It is extremely hard to argue against opinion. Each conclusion that we have arrived at has taken at least some logical or emotional process to form, but the problem is that we are afraid that if our conclusion is questioned, it is a reflection on us.

And it is, at least to a point. Our conclusions are a reflection of our logic, our ability to reason, how we feel, our perspective, our family and our culture. Unfortunately because of the values of our society and our educational system, a very large portion of our conclusions are based primarily on our own experiences and feelings. Since our culture fears questions and process, no one has to change. No one grows.

I stated some of my thoughts on Facebook last week and was disagreed with. This really threw me. I guess I've gotten in the habit of only sharing my conclusions and process with safe people. All of a sudden, all I wanted was to be accepted and valued. This wasn't about opinion anymore. It was about identity.

Can I be me even though you may think differently than I? Am I still valuable? Do my thoughts matter? Does what Jesus says about me remain even though someone else disagrees?

I think this is the big question; 'Who am I outside of my conclusions and decisions?'

My thoughts are not me; they are a product of me. As I submit myself to questions and to His thoughts, my thoughts change. He is speaking to the real me, and He sees bigger and better than I. Opinion keeps me unmovable. Conclusion keeps me safe.  Where He is usually requires walking on water, and that's where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment