Thursday, February 7, 2013

Positioned for Love

I'm reading a book entitled Jesus on Leadership by C Gene Wilkes. The author focuses on the character of Jesus as the blueprint on being a great leader; humility, servanthood, following and so forth. When he starts confronting desire for position and posits that we learn to follow God and please Him, something occurred to me. Why does anyone desire position?

I'm convinced that the things we desire most in life are simply proxies. Proxy is defined as the agency, function, or office of a deputy who acts as a substitute for another. It is something we authorize to fill a need that originally was meant to be met by something else.

God created us to desire. He created us to need or want based on what we were created for, and we were created to be Sons and to look like God. We were created for relationship.

I think most of us desire position because we believe that position offers identity, affirmation, purpose and power. Position in itself can't give those things, at least not in a healthy way. The fruit of that is only domination and striving. It's a pretty well kept secret that God can offer identity, affirmation, purpose and power without one having position. No, I'm wrong, It's a different position. It's the position of being a Much Loved Child. There's no better place to be.

If we lived life focused entirely on that, on loving and being loved by our Father, the Body would look a bit different. I would look different. It doesn't matter where I stand, just the fact that I am His favorite is enough. Favor is good. Even Jesus grew in favor with God and man. Notice God came first. And that's the position I want to be most.

1 comment: