Sunday, January 6, 2013

Roses and Chives

I'm looking forward to spring already. Late to prepare my beds for winter, I got an early itch to sink my hands into the soil. I pulled out leaves, weeds and lots of self propagating chives. Determined little buggers...I  don't want chives amongst my roses. :P

A few years ago I planted some ground cover underneath my roses and it is finally started to work. Gradually creeping into all the available spacing and robbing it from the chives.

I need to learn how to use that tactic when it comes to my own character. It's so easy to get locked into a weed killer mindset, chasing down the flesh and killing each little bit. Like my chives however, its death is short lived. As long as something is fed, it will continue to live.

One of my favorite Graham Cooke quotes hints at an interesting solution;  "What if all that is dark in the world is because of an absence of Goodness?" You can't chase the dark out. The dark flees when light is introduced.

My periwinkle ground cover works a lot like the Holy Spirit. If I give Him space, He moves in. Softly. I don't even notice things are changing until the ache from growth begins. My roots are have been liberated and strengthened, and below ground growth necessitates above ground growth.

I don't have to run around wildly, extinguishing all that is flawed about myself. I just give Him permission. Living and breathing and having His being.


1 comment:

  1. Great analogy, Jessica! Quite often, I come across this mentality of thinking one must try harder. We can never try hard enough to be patient, loving, kind, etc... we just have to get out of the way and give the HS permission.

    ReplyDelete