Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Price

This is probably the most silent Fourth of July in my lifetime. I sent the girls to bed early because they were fighting, and Eben went to sleep early because he is recovering from a fever. Adam is on call this week, and of course he was called out hours ago. Still isn't home.

I marinated pork ribs and while the grill is heating up, I prepared hot crash potatoes with rosemary and thyme from the garden. Only my resolve is pushing me to cook for myself; otherwise I'd be happy with cereal. Adam will appreciate the food...eventually.

Ordinarily I crave silence, but when it finally happens, I'm deafened. I've practiced thinking through chaos so long that my ears ring without it.

It was cool to see so many celebrating an awesome Fourth today on Facebook. I was a little jealous. I have mixed feelings about my country right now, and sometimes I'd like to do what my husband suggested and string up the Don't Tread On Me flag above the Stars and Stripes. The problem with studying history and government is that you realize what was gambled and lost.

I feel towards America a lot like I feel towards the Church. Something great and grand and to be cherished has gained more tarnish than shine. Then I stop myself. Jesus didn't call me to see the glass half full. He wants me to see what isn't there, and what will be.

Freedom is something that most aren't familiar with, unless they don't have it. Then they are willing to die to attain it. It is like seeing a glimpse of God's face, or breathing in His presence; it primes you for the More. America established liberty as the gateway to achieving dreams. In the Kingdom, death is the gateway.

Actually, death is the gateway for both. Liberty isn't handed out like lollipops. It must be apprehended, and throughout history, by blood.

Bill Johnson once stated, "In the natural, we eat to become satisfied. In the spiritual, we eat to become hungry".

Freedom and redemption to the imprisoned is always worth the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment